Aristone Solicitors and Technology: Partnering for Net Zero SuccessWe enable our team to learn, innovate, and carve their path to net zero success.
GREENING THE LEGAL INDUSTRY: ARISTONE SOLICITORS’ JOURNEY TO ENVIRONMENTAL RESPONSIBILITY
At Aristone Solicitors, we recognise our role in contributing to climate change. We understand that even small firms have a significant global footprint, especially considering the extensive use of paper for briefs and bundles.
Simply put, law firms also have an environmental impact. Similar to large corporations, our daily operations generate carbon emissions, sometimes more so than other businesses, or at least in unique ways. To mitigate this impact, Aristone Solicitors conducts the majority of consultations and client meetings remotely, and we have adopted a hybrid digital approach. Our goal is to achieve 75% digitisation by 2030, aligning with our commitment to environmental sustainability.
ELEMENTS IMPACTING CARBON EMISSIONS
The firm’s operational carbon footprint is typically evaluated across Scope 1, 2, and 3 emissions categories. Scope 1 emissions are direct emissions stemming from the firm’s controlled activities. Aristone Solicitors tend to generate limited Scope 1 emissions, primarily from fuel and gas usage and refrigerants for building operations, alongside emissions from staff vehicles and released vapors like refrigerants and fire suppression.
Scope 2 involves indirect emissions from purchased energy sources, primarily electricity, while Scope 3 entails indirect emissions associated with business travel, commuting, and purchased goods and services, encompassing aspects like paper usage and waste production. Commuting data also incorporates remote work emissions, accounting for the environmental impact of home office equipment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some examples of how Aristone Solicitors contributes to the race to net zero:
- Implementing Remote Working Practices: Aristone Solicitors has successfully transitioned to a remote working model for a significant portion of its workforce, reducing the carbon footprint associated with daily commutes and office energy consumption.
- Paperless Operations: By prioritising digital documentation and communication, Aristone Solicitors has significantly reduced paper usage, contributing to a decrease in deforestation and carbon emissions related to paper production and transportation.
- Eco-friendly Commuting Options: Encouraging staff to use public transportation, carpool, or opt for eco-friendly vehicles demonstrates Aristone Solicitors’ commitment to reducing the environmental impact of daily commutes and business travel.
- Purchasing office supplies in bulk: By ordering supplies in larger quantities, the firm significantly reduces the frequency of deliveries, effectively lowering the carbon footprint associated with transportation and delivery processes. This proactive measure minimises the impact of our operations on the environment.
- Green Initiatives in Office Spaces: Implementing energy-efficient lighting, recycling programs, and responsible waste management practices within office premises further underscores Aristone Solicitors’ dedication to sustainable and eco-conscious operations.
By prioritising these initiatives, Aristone Solicitors plays a pivotal role in actively contributing to the ongoing race to achieve net zero emissions and fostering a sustainable future for all.
As a small enterprise, we acknowledge our responsibility to take impactful and inclusive actions in addressing our climate impact. Our objective involves achieving carbon neutrality across our complete service value chain, incorporating all our activities by 2030, thereby realising a substantial 75 percent reduction in emissions relative to 2021 levels. To achieve this, we are prioritising the advancement of technology and implementing digital transformation to significantly minimise our environmental footprint.
Currently, it is not compulsory for us to do so.
Certainly, there has been a notable decline in paper usage, with the majority of our team leveraging cloud-based storage solutions to ensure the security of your data.